Cleaning Artichokes is a lot easier then one might think!
Start off with a bowl of cold water and lemon juice. Artichokes are a leafy vegetable and as soon as you start to clean them the inner tender skin will start to oxidize and turn dark, to prevent this from happening we put the cleaned artichoke in a cold water/lemon bath. You pull the outer leaves off, trim the top and stem and drop in water. Now you are ready to cook artichokes!
- 15 small artichokes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic- finely chopped
- 2 tsp of tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Italian parsley
- Salt to taste
- Sauté the garlic in the olive oil, add the tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cleaned artichokes. Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and parsley to taste. Serve as a side dish or over a bed of couscous or rice!