Cleaning Artichokes is a lot easier then one might think!
Start off with a bowl of cold water and lemon juice. Artichokes are a leafy vegetable and as soon as you start to clean them the inner tender skin will start to oxidize and turn dark, to prevent this from happening we put the cleaned artichoke in a cold water/lemon bath. You pull the outer leaves off, trim the top and stem and drop in water. Now you are ready to cook artichokes!
- 6-8 Large artichoke
- 1/4 cup Grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Cloves of garlic- finely chopped
- 2 Cups of bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Italian parsley- finely chopped
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix cheese, garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Open the leaves of the artichoke and fill each layer with the crumb mixture.
- In a shallow pan, bring to a boil 1 inch of water. Place the artichokes in the pan, drizzle the top of each artichoke with olive oil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and allow artichokes to steam. Check occasionally to ensure that the water has not completely evaporated. Add water if necessary. The stuffed artichokes are done when a leaf can easily be pulled off.
- Serve as a beautiful side dish!